I thought it would be a cool idea to work on a tower generator, to make something like this:
Categories: Development log. 32 comments... »
AWESOME idea. Realize it please. °_°
It makes me remind elevator action, i like it.
what’s the point of making generated maps if your creating a multi player game? in MP every map has to be perfectly organized and well thought. You don’t want chaos in your game, right?
>in MP every map has to be perfectly organized and well thought.
>You don’t want chaos in your game, right?
You have no idea what you are talking about.
It highly depends on the game, game mode, game mechanics and you can STILL make generators that generate balanced maps.
is there high definition of this?
would be awesome
Hah! it iss “tower mogul” game, right? 😀
i have this game on my ppc
Ragnaros: It’s Sim Tower
SIM TOWER! used to play this game a lot !
fun in the beggining, boring after!
There are a few problems with randomly generated maps:
1) Although the geometry is generated, the art is predesigned, meaning eventually every map looks and the same.
2) The generator can generate finite possibilities from a gameplay point of view, meaning that with sufficiently large maps – or enough levels played – every level will feel and play the same.
3) The generator is incapable of analyzing a spot tactically – it WILL generate perfect camping spots and players will exploit this. Unless base-type games (CTF and derivatives) use mirrored maps then one team will be at a disadvantage. However the more predictable and “neutral” the map, the more boring it will look, play and feel, leading to a point of diminishing returns.
4) The generator is just as good as you write it to be and has as much ideas about gameplay as you give it – to date there have been very, very few games that manage to create an ad hoc map that meets all the criteria of a good map. Examples are Elite or Galactic Civilizations – however those aren’t action-based games.
I don’t think there’s much sense in trying to make a random map generator michał, for the reasons I specified.
1) After time we can draw new tile sheets.
2) The same for user generated maps.
3) It can be capable. Just a matter of writing an algorithm.
4) Game makers generally suck. Just because nobody has done it before doesn’t mean we can’t.
Actually, I think it is “Yoot tower” or something like that.
Rayza: “Yoot tower” is Sim Tower 2
The fact that no one succeeded in this before is exactly a good reason to do it.
Although I think it should have a lower priority than other stuff, so maybe do it after everything else stands? I think at first there will be enough users making enough maps.
I suggest making a working game first with some sigvatr made maps or something.
Atleast get the official link dead sprites working in game. u got the engine, the animator, the map editor, isnt it about time u show us some eyecandy :)?
>The fact that no one succeeded in this before is exactly a good reason to do it.
A fine statement.
Michal, I’m worried that you’re focusing too much on insignificant things. Aren’t the unfinished core aspects of the engine much more important?
”Michal, I’m worried that you’re focusing too much on insignificant things. Aren’t the unfinished core aspects of the engine much more important?”
you have my words.
Human made maps will always triumph over AI-generated(most of them >.>).
C’o’s’m’i’n: The fact that no one succeeded in this before is exactly a good reason to do it.
Exactly. Thank you.
Everyone knew that it was impossible, until someone who dint, made it happen.
I have just 4 words for you:
FINISH THE GAME ALREADY !
WEll, before you said taht you need to code a simple way to make maps.. and you done that.. so, why now you need a randon map generator?
I dunno, it’d be kinda plain and boring wouldnt it?
BTW I used to love sim tower! dunno where my copy is now though, had heaps of Sim games
Please upload a LONG video of robots shooting and running and climbing around 😀
Duude I remember playing this game! It was sooo fuunnnn!
CoD4 doesn’t have enough gore and PunkBuster problems ruin multiplayer, but it has one damn good thing: perks. I’d love to see something like that in Link-Dead. So you can have like 5 custom class configurations, and each has 3 special abilities which you can choose. These special abilities give only a small advantage in something.
I think a good idea would be to release the game. I didn’t like the map generator as map generator suck and belong in RPG’s and not 2D shooters. Multiplayer + Infinite maps = lose.
No towers. Lame. Making a game and not maps should be the priority shouldn’t it?
i wonder if anyone has ever tried using a genetic algorithm to create balanced maps.
Hmm, I actually think balance isn’t the problem, just mirror the map and there you go, completely fair for everybody.
The problem is lying more in the diversity and versatility of the map, how fluidly players can move on it, elimination of camping-positions, creation of important strategic points and all that.
Mail (will not be published) (required)
Defining Awesome is powered by WordPress and styled by Roughdrive v.0.2. Check Valid XHTML and check valid CSS. | Disclaimer